Construction of City of Massillon’s original sewer system began over 100 years ago. Since that time, the system has been periodically expanded to accommodate additional residential, commercial and industrial users. In 1892 the City’s first wastewater treatment plant (WWTP) consisted of settling tanks, and a dosing tank. In 1937 (5.2 mg/d Primary Treatment Process), major improvements to the treatment facilities were added, which included a Primary clarifier, and Anaerobic Digesters. With the start of 1962 (9.0 mg/d Primary Treatment Process), major improvements to the treatment facilities added were pre-aeration tanks, two additional primary clarifiers, another primary sludge building, and two additional anaerobic digesters.
The effluent from the treatment facility discharges into the Tuscarawas River, an interstate river that also serves as a source of public water supply. The Federal Water Pollution Control Act Amendments of 1972 established new federal guidelines and regulations for sewage treatment projects. As a result, the City was required to satisfy many new regulatory requirements.
By the mid 1970’s, the facility could no longer properly handle the City’s growing sewage flows. Over loading of the WWTP various components caused unsatisfactory wastewater treatment. Consequently, in 1976 (12.5 mg/d Secondary Treatment and Thermal Sludge Conditioning Facilities), the City of Massillon evaluated its existing treatment control facilities and developed a long range, comprehensive control program. The results were increasing the capacity and efficiency of this facility, specifically by constructing two mechanical bar screens, and grit removal tanks, one additional pre-aeration tank, adding two primary effluent screw pumps, 6 octagonal shaped roughing filters, 3 aeration tanks, two raw wastewater screw pumps, 3 circular secondary clarifiers, 2 chlorine contact tanks, a phosphate removal system, and converting the 1937 digesters to sludge thickeners. The year 1978 brought the abandonment of Thermal sludge conditioning facilities and the beginning of anaerobic sludge digestion process, along with land application of liquid digested sludge.
In 1985 the construction upgrade of the existing Anaerobic Digesters began. Lime stabilization process was used during this upgrade. A Belt filter press was installed as a backup to the liquid land application process. By 1987 the Sludge lime stabilization process was discontinued upon completion of modifications to the digesters. In 1990 an 800,000 gallon digested liquid sludge storage tank was added. In 1996 the existing rectangular primary clarifiers 1-6 and the Primary Sludge Building No. 1 were upgraded. In 1998 upgrades to the existing square primary clarifiers (Nos. 7 and 8) and Primary Sludge Building No. 2 were performed.
Construction upgrades of City of Massillon’s sewer treatment plant became the focal point of the new millennium. With the increased usage of industrial and residential sewage waste collection from an expanding Western Stark County, the facility could no longer properly handle the growing sewage flows. For that reason the Massillon Regional Waste Water Treatment Plant Upgrade 2000 project came to fruition. The $32 million dollar expansion improvements were (2002 15.8 MGD Advanced Secondary Treatment Process) increasing the size of influent screw pumps, rehabbing existing grit tanks and modifying the grit removal conveyors to screw type including covering the influent screw pumps, grit tanks and open channels, adding a 2.6 million gallon diurnal flow retention basin, a 3 million gallon storm flow retention basin, replacing first and second stage screw pumps, replacing horizontal rotors in aeration tanks with fine bubble aeration and slow speed vertical mixers, upgrading the roughing filters, adding a blower building which houses centrifugal blowers for the diurnal flow retention basin and the aeration tanks, modifying the 3 existing suction lift type clarifiers to spiral scraper type, adding 2 additional spiral scraper type clarifiers, a new building to house new rapid sand tertiary filters and ultraviolet disinfection, changing the gravity thickeners to sludge blending tanks, adding gravity belt thickeners and belt filter presses, and a polymer system for GBTs and BFPs including an addition to solids handling building, adding odor control for the influent screening building, grit tanks, and grit building, solids handling building, thickened sludge holding tanks and sludge blending tanks, adding a sludge storage pad and a vactor dump pad, a filtrate pump station, adding a maintenance building, refurbishing the laboratory and adding a whole plant monitoring system.
As required by a federal mandate, in the early 1980’s, the City began to study the effects of local industrial wastes. This study determined the character of these wastes, assessed their relative compatibility with the sewerage system, and established industrial pretreatment regulations for all incompatible wastes. As a result of this study the Industrial Pretreatment Division was created. Today, this function is overseen by an Industrial Pretreatment Coordinator who regulates the industrial and commercial waste in the City.
There are four publicly owned pump stations in the wastewater collection system:
- The Augusta Lakes Pump Station
- The Lincoln Way West Pump Station
- The Nova Industrial Park Pump Station
- The 17th St/Carmont Pump Station
In addition to the Sanitary Pump stations, the Collection System has several metering stations located in the City.