CITY OF MASSILLON EMPLOYMENT REQUIREMENT
The City of Massillon accepts applications at all times for any current, or future employment opportunities.
In order to be considered for any employment opportunity a Massillon City Application must be completed in its entirety.
A resume submitted without a completed application will not be considered for any employment opportunity.
WASTE WATER TREATMENT PLANT OPERATOR
The City of Massillon Civil Service is accepting applications for the position of Waste Water Plant Operator. This is a classified position that pays $17.91 per hour. Applicants must meet the minimum requirements, take a Civil Service test and successfully complete a pre-employment background check and drug screen.
** Candidates must complete a City of Massillon Job application, submit a copy of your drivers license and submit $10 check or money order only ( NO CASH) for the Civil Service test, set for Saturday August 17 at 10:00am. Applications are available on the City of Massillon website:
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION: WEDNESDAY AUGUST 14, 2019.
Resumes submitted without a City of Massillon job application, drivers license, $10 payment and bonus documentation (if applicable) will not be considered. Please submit completed applications to the Office of the Civil Service Commission, Municipal Government Annex Administration Building (2nd Floor), 151 Lincoln Way East, Massillon, Ohio 44646 (in the Huntington Bank Building; across the street from the Lions Lincoln Theater in downtown Massillon).
Under general supervision, performs semi-skilled and skilled tasks associated with the operation of the treatment facility; operates and performs minor maintenance on wastewater treatment plant equipment and related accessories. Work can be characterized by assignment to rotating shifts where needed or as ordered by the Operation Superintendent, Plant Maintenance Supervisor, or the Manager.
- High school diploma or GED supplemented by coursework in wastewater treatment, or equivalent combinations of training and/or experience.
- A CDL is preferable and could be required to be obtained at the discretion and financial cost of the City.
- Must possess a valid Ohio Driver’s License.
- Performs other related duties as required.
ILLUSTRATIVE DUTIES:The duties listed below are intended to depict tasks performed by this classification.
- Operates a variety of wastewater treatment facility equipment (e.g. chlorination unit, bar screen, vacuum filters, tertiary treatment devices, etc.); monitors the performance of aeration and settling tanks.
- Takes samples at various stages of the wastewater treatment process; performs basic laboratory tests for process control; reads and records data from a variety of gauges, meters and other measuring devices; assists with establishing operating control parameters; maintains accurate operational logs and reports.
- Inspects equipment to determine if operating properly; changes charts as required; performs minor maintenance tasks (e.g. lubricates equipment, cleans, washes and changes filters; cleans and repairs screens, grids, chemical unloading equipment, etc.); may assist in the repair of major equipment.
- Unloads chemicals into storage area; mixes chemicals as required; performs other manual work for safety in the storage and transportation of chemicals.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Basic knowledge of wastewater treatment systems and facilities, safety practices and procedures.
- Ability to recognize unusual or threatening conditions and take appropriate actions, and work alone.
- Demonstrate physical fitness.
- Carry out instructions in written, oral or picture form.
- Cooperate with co-workers on group projects.
Proof is required for bonus credits. 20% is the maximum total bonus credit available. Possible bonus credit is for Armed Forces Veteran or City of Massillon Residency. Bonus credit will only be awarded if a minimum acceptable score of seventy percent (70%) is achieved on the written examination. Applicants must submit acceptable proof documentation to the Civil Service Commission at the time of application filing to receive the applicable bonus credit. Documentation received after the filing deadline will not be eligible for bonus credit.
Civil Service Testing:
Written Exam Date: Saturday August 17, 2019
Location: Massillon Recreation Center, 505 Erie Street North, Massillon, Ohio 44646
The time limit to complete the written exam is 2 hours. * Must have a drivers license to identify identity
Exam Time : 10:00am (Check-in time: 9:15 – 10:45 AM, no admittance to the exam after 9:45 AM)
Job Application page.
Policy on Drug Free Work Place & Drug Testing of Employees
The City of Massillon recognizes that the future of the City is dependent upon the physical and psychological health of all its employees. The misuse and abuse of drugs poses a serious threat to the City, its employees, and to the citizens of Massillon.
The City of Massillon will make a good faith effort to maintain a drug free work place by complying with the requirements of the Federal Drug Free Work Place Act of 1988, enhancing the health and safety of employees and the public, and providing more cost efficient delivery of services. City employees will be required to undergo a drug screening and confirmation test, administered in accordance with City directives, upon reporting for work or during work hours when there is reasonable suspicion to believe that the employee has ingested, inhaled, or injected an illicit drug into the body, or as part of a physical examination.
It is the responsibility of each employee to report promptly to their supervisor or department head the use of any prescribed medication which may affect judgment, performance or behavior.
It is the responsibility of each employee to notify the City of any criminal drug statue conviction no later than five (5) days after such conviction. The City may impose a sanction on, or require the satisfactory participation in a drug abuse assistance or rehabilitation program by an employee who is so convicted, or
the City may terminate their employment. Each case will be determined on a case-to-case basis.
If a City employee has a commercial Driver’s License (CDL), then they will be randomly tested throughout the year. This is an ongoing process.
All prospective new employees will be tested for drugs before a job offer is finalized.